Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Questions

Here is a journal entry I wrote earlier this afternoon:

Before I left the states, I was already looking forward to May 20th (the day I come home). Now, I'm back to - "I don't want to leave!!" I'm dreading May 20th. I wish I didn't have to turn in college apps between November and January. . . . I wish I could just "go with the flow" until May, then see where I'm at.

Of course, I want to go to college! But leaving Laoag is so hard. Coming back after college, or even during summer and winter breaks from college, just wouldn't feel the same. Sometimes I wonder why God didn't just make me a Filipino, if I was going to love the Philippines so much.

It would make the most sense to:
1. Leave May 20
2. Go to college
3. Get a degree (maybe even go to med. school)
4. Follow God's plan for my life -- do some sort of missions

I just have all this stuff running through my head. Ugh. Like -- I know God is going to use me more in the Philippines in the future, maybe even longer-term; I know that God made me smart for a reason and that I should use that (aka go to college); I know that before moving to any country for good, there are a lot of details to work out; I know that plane tickets are expensive. But I also know that God doesn't follow our plans; He follows His own -- which don't always make sense to us.

I feel like I am over-thinking all of this. But I struggle with dropping my plans and listening to God, when everywhere I turn I am told to always have a back up plan, to have a direction in life, and to make goals. How do I balance those two? Is there even a balance? -- or do I literally drop everything and only do the things God tells me to? I do know that I am supposed to obey God first and foremost, above anyone else -- so I am praying that He'll speak to me (directly, or through other people) about all of these questions I have.

I also know that although God might not tell me directly what He wants for me, He will close whatever doors He needs to until I am pointed in the direction He wants me.

It's the waiting game that's hurting me so bad.
love,k

P.S. Please pray that these things won't weigh on me so heavily that I am distracted from doing the things God wants me to do this year -- that I will have peace about it all. I seem to struggle with all of these thoughts and ideas every time I am back in the Philippines.

4 comments:

Shelly Atkins said...

Praying for you---that you can do what is necessary, but mostly that you can live in the moment. I love you!!

Anonymous said...

of course i will pray for you. i feel, though, like God is going to make you wait for answers. for whatever reason. but anyways i love you and i know you'll figure it out before may 20th
~maria~

Clayton said...

hey.. sorry i havent really commented or really got in touch with you since youve been gone, ive been gone as well, just got back from illinois sorry i would be saying this in email but its busy sending these songs for maria, tryin to get her addicted to "good" country music, but yeah i miss you and im so glad for what God is doing through you there, im praying for your needs and dont worry about after this, concentrate on the current.. God will work the rest out... love you and miss you..

SAtkins said...

Hey Kate,

I am so glad that you are safe and sounds like having an awesome time...We got Ashley off to Clemson on Friday and she started classes yesterday...I hate that you are struggling with your "FUTURE" so early in the ballgame but my advise to you is...."FOLLOW YOUR HEART".....We love you and are very proud of you here back in Rock Hill,SC...Love ya, Sue, Kirk and
Ashley too!! (Just from Clemson!!!)--- lol---