Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Multilingual God

Life in the Philippines can be pretty slow at times. It's funny, many people here talk about their “busy schedule” – but for most, it isn’t that busy at all. I think that if these people were to see how rushed things are in America, they’d be amazed. We are all in such a hurry for nothing in particular. Sometimes it’s nice to enjoy life’s simple pleasures. I have to admit, though – I am naturally a person who likes to be busy, so all this relaxation is starting to get to me. I’d like to have more things to do. I have become addicted to Francine River’s “Mark of the Lion” trilogy, but am worried that once I finish the books I will become more easily bored. (This is a great Christian series, if you’re ever looking for one.)

Here’s what’s been going on since my last post (Wed. August 16):

On Friday (Aug. 17) there was a pastor’s conference here at the main church. I attended the morning service, then ate lunch with everyone and planned on relaxing or talking to the Bible students for the rest of the day, while the pastors had meetings. I wound up spending several hours in conversation with one student named Michal, a 17 year old girl who moved to Laoag this year from 10 hours away to begin Bible school. Over the past few days I’ve found that we have a lot in common and are going through many of the same things. One struggle we both have is – “Why did you bring me here, God?” We also both have a heart for the young people and a desire to somehow make a difference in them. Through our conversations this week she’s been a huge encouragement to me, particularly through sharing things that God has spoken to her about me. I know now that one of the main (if not the only) reasons God brought me here this year is for this youth group. I long to see a shift in their hearts, their desires and their priorities. One thing in particular that I am hoping to see is a move toward more Spirit-led worship. Right now, praise & worship often consists of just singing song – the flow of the Holy Spirit is “broken,” as Michal put it (she is also praying for this move toward Spirit-led worship).

Michal and I will be leading the “learning new songs” week – the second Friday in September. We have to choose 4 songs and will be teaching them to the young people….One we have already picked is Hillsong United’s “Hosanna.” I know that the songs don’t really matter when it comes to worship, but I am praying that God will show us the right songs to teach them. Maybe in the process we can introduce a completely new atmosphere of worship that isn’t as structured as it is now.

I have had several opportunities (mostly over the weekend) to be around the young people in the church and get to know them better. (Of course, I already knew most of them – but God is establishing friendships rather than acquaintances…) I wonder if this is related to the ministry I will have with the young people – if these friendships will pave the way for deeper ministry. I’ve been asking God to show me specific people and how I can be used in their lives – because I feel like I am not only supposed to work in the youth group as a whole, but in certain members who have more specific needs. In the meantime, I’m enjoying hanging out with the kids in the church here. They remind me a lot of my youth group at home (in some ways – but they are different in others).

The other night as I was praying, I asked the Lord what he wanted me to show these young people, what it was that I had that He wanted me to teach them. He told me (in Ilocano!!!) – “your desire.” I am excited to have received some answers about my role here, even if I don’t know exactly how things will play out. Pray that God continues to increase my patience while I am here, in all areas of my life.

Finally, I have become much more comfortable with the Bible students. They are still much shyer than the young people in the church (Pastor Florie tells me that the youth group here were drawn to me from the beginning, much more than any other person my age who’s been here – was this God’s way of opening doors for my ministry to them?), but they’re not as shy as they have been in the past. My English class is going well – I am teaching basic parts of speech and am trying to make class more fun. They students have been participating and seem to be enjoying themselves, so I hope they’re learning.

Thank you for your prayers and support….

love,k

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so i've pretty much heard and responded to most of this already, but again i am excited. God is cool :)

Anonymous said...

i keep forgetting i'm anonymous. it's maria