Sunday, August 12, 2007

Storytelling

Before I'd ever been to the Philippines, I heard lots of stories -- mostly from my dad, but some from other people as well. It sounded like a great place, but not much different from other places I'd heard about. You know how when someone returns from a short-term (or even long-term) mission trip and tries to tell stories, people are excited to hear at first but lose interest quickly? I've been on both sides of that situation -- the frustrated person trying to share my excitement and the bored listener ready to move on to the next topic. Hearing about the Philippines was just another story. Of course, now I think I was wrong. The Philippines seem much different than any other place, in more ways than the culture or the climate. I have always thought that there was "something" about it here that made it great, that I couldn't quite figure out. I've finally realized that that "something" is not unique to the Philippines - it's God's love. Over the past year and a half he has shown me His love for these people, and placed a tiny portion (which for me was HUGE) of that love for them in my own heart.

Today was Sunday -- the worship service this morning was indescribable, as always. God was so, so, SO present.....I don't think I have been to a service here that hasn't given me chill bumps or brought me to tears. It is different than any of the conferences or events I've been to at home, and like I said, I can't describe it. The sound system is inadequate, the microphones are loud, the room is hot, and the pews are hard and uncomfortable. But every person in there has such a desire to be with God; they are all incredibly in love with Him. Maybe what amazes me the most is the joy these people have in the midst of everything they go through.

I don't know. I don't want to turn you guys into the bored listeners on the other end of my stories, so I won't try and go into unnecessary detail.

I start teaching tomorrow!!! Pray that all goes well -- I am not as nervous as I was before; in fact, I feel quite confident. I just hope I can remember the names of my 4 students. :)

love,k

3 comments:

Hobbes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

i'm so happy for you. as much as i miss you and i know you miss roanoke, i also know there's no other place everyone would rather you be~God included. i hope you really feel at home, i know you will. i love you and am praying for you, of course

Anonymous said...

oh it's maria by the way, if you couldn't tell