Friday, March 14, 2008

Dry spell that lasts a lifetime?

A close friend of mine (here in the Philippines)'s sister had a baby on Monday. Today I spent some time at their house visiting both mother and baby, both of whom are truly beautiful. It was possibly the highlight of my week! Babies are so perfect and innocent. Even their skin is flawless, something that I suppose won't last too long....

I can't help but be saddened by the situation, though. This young mother is not married and has not yet finished college. She lives with her boyfriend but I am unaware of their exact circumstances. Of course, this is not uncommon, even in the church (sadly enough). However, today I was reminded of how much confusion there is among the young people here. I realize that this is a worldwide problem, and one not only found in teenagers, but my heart continues to go out to this specific group of kids. None of them are "bad," so to speak. They are respectful most of the time, they work hard to help their parents and those around them, and most of them are pursuing or have already received a college education. They know Bible verses, they come to Sunday services, and they love the Lord. But it's all kind of routine; they're just going through the motions, and frankly, things are quite dry.

They kind of remind me of myself -- before.

Before I fell in love with the Lord. Before I knew what it was like to be filled with the Holy Spirit. Before I finally decided to give myself completely to Him. Before my relationship with Him became real to me.

The things I have now, the gifts and experiences that God has given me, are what I want for these kids. I don't want to see them in a lifelong dry spell. I don't think they even know what they're missing! I sometimes wonder if even the Bible students know what it feels like to be desperately in love with the Lord, so much that I can't even describe it. I hope they do, but I don't know.

Tonight as I was praying during our youth service, I was reminded (for probably the millionth time) that I really can't do anything about this. I can't make these kids change. I can't bring them experiences. The only way I can help them is by doing these things myself -- by showing them. This is a lesson I always seem to forget, but the Lord continues to remind me.

I don't know why I feel compelled to write a blog about this, because I know I wrote a similar one a while back. But nonetheless, here I am again. Pray for me?

love,k

1 comments:

Willie said...

Amen, Kaitlyn!

How very pleased our Father is w/ your love and service there.

Continue to seek the Lord on behalf of those young people...to give your life as a living sacrifice (Rom. 12:1-2) on their behalf, just as Job sacrificed for his children "...thinking 'Perhaps my children have sinned and cursed God in their hearts'" (Job 1:5).

Pam and I are praying for you and for them! May you continue to glorify Jesus w/ your life and be used of God to reach this generation...according to the desire of your heart, given you by God.

Grace and Peace,

Willie and Pam