Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Cold, Cold Baguio City

Just a quick update on what I've been up to lately --

Thursday and Friday of last week I was sick with some sort of stomach virus. I spent the majority of both of those days resting. Friday night I traveled with the youth group to Sarrat, a place about 10 or 15 minutes away, for a joint youth fellowship between several different churches. We began around 8:15 and finished after 11!!! I performed the "Shine" hand mime with the SAVERS club for the first time, and we did pretty well.

Monday (yesterday!) I went to Baguio City with the three ladies I live with and Rendo, our driver. I woke up at 4:30 and we left around 5:30. Ugh! The trip takes around 7 hours, but it took us longer because we stopped over somewhere for the end of a funeral (I didn't know the people, but I've met some of their family members). While there I learned some of the superstitions and traditions they have here, especially regarding funerals -- foods not to eat, ways to turn the casket, clothes to wear, etc. Apparently most Christians do not follow those (thankfully), though. We arrived in Baguio around 3 PM -- it was freezing cold, because it is up in the mountains -- and visited Pastor Florie's cousin, who had been living in Italy until recently when she began having severe pains in her right leg and later learned they were cancer-related. She's had two surgeries since June, one last Sunday. Later in the evening I took a taxi with Rendo and Auntie Pat (the younger sister who I live with) to meet Jay, a friend of mine from the church here who has been studying in Baguio. It was an exhausting day but worthwhile. I really loved the city and can't wait to have an opportunity to go back!!

all my love,k

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.