Friday, October 19, 2007

Piggery!

Yesterday I decided to take a break from dancing and go with some people to to look at pigs for the lechon on Sunday after church. (A lechon is a big meal -- for lots of people -- where they roast the whole pig. You kill it right beforehand.)

The place we went was so cool. They had all these different sections depending on the type and size of pig....It was really organized, at least more than I imagined it would have been. At the top they had all these huge mother pigs I think most were pregnant, but some had just given birth (and had adorable little piglets!!). They kept them really confined and didn't give them room to move -- to avoid miscarriages. There was one male pig in the center (it was a huge room) whose role was to impregnate all the women. :) But those pigs weren't for eating, so we went down a hill and around to the back where there were tons more of the eating kind. There was one pen with big pigs (not as big as the mommies upstairs, but way bigger than Wilbur), and they got smaller as you moved down into the other pens. (I still can't get over how cute the piglets were!) We got there around feeding time, so the pigs were hungry and squealing SOOO loud!! The lady started feeding them pen-by-pen beginning with the piglets, and the other pigs could smell the food I guess because then they got even louder. It was pretty funny. It was cool to watch them eat though, because there were these little spickets that they drank water from, and they knew how to take turns and everything!! I don't know, I just thought it was cool.

I got to choose the pig for the lechon, so I chose my favorite -- one that had a big brown spot over its right eye and two large overlapping grey and brown spots on its back... It was adorable and I want to name it. (I don't have any good name ideas yet.) Rendo told me "you know, when we cook it no one will see the spots..." But I still wanted it. (Although...Do I want to send the cute pig to its death? Oh well, too late now.)


So, any pig name ideas????

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

...you would choose the cute pig to kill. did you ever read lord of the flies? if so you should name it piggy, since you are sending the poor little fellow to his death. if not...you should name it clive
~maria~